Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Tenkara has arrived.

I'm already impressed with Tenkara Fly Fish, the company I ordered the Fountainhead 11' Tenkara rod from. I ordered it on Saturday. By Sunday I had an email saying it would be in the mail on Monday. And today I had the package at my door. That's some speedy deliver, especially since some of the big box stores, oh, let's call them Cadela's, usually takes around two weeks. 


Like a kid at Christmas, I tore open the package and there, gingerly wrapped in newspapers (no complaints, packaging isn't cheap) was the rod, which comes with a rod sock.

Taking it out, the first thing I noticed was the light weight; it was almost nothing in the hand.

I took it out and noticed that the plug in the end of the rod was rubber with a wooden tip; rather handsomely stained. I thought that was a nice touch, considering the price.

I did notice that the cork handle seems to be a little rough and you can see the lines where the cork is lined up to create the handle. A little fine grit sandpaper, or as I'm going to do, some nice hard use and it will smooth that cork out alright. (Update: Hard use did her fine. )

And I can live with seeing the lines in the cork. It's only $45.

I unfurled the rod and gave it the ol' wiggle test. It was a little weird taking it apart, it kept going and going and going..... 11' is quite a long rod!

The rod I bought is the Caddis Fly, with a 5:5 action, which is the softer, more flexible rod. You can opt for the 12' Caddis which is 6:4, which would be a stiffer action rod.

The wiggle reminds me of a nice glass rod. I'm starting to already imagine fighting a fish on this!

If time permits, I will give this a test run tomorrow. Once I get a semblance of competence with this, and get a few fish on, I will post another review on Tenkara compared to Western fly fishing, both the rod and the style.

Keep an eye out in the coming weeks!

2 comments:

  1. keep us posted on what you think about it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do. I'm thinking about sneaking out of work early (shhhh....) to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete