Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Fly of the Week: the Pompous Jerk

I was flipping through last Falls issue of Fly Fisher and Fly Tier and they had an entire article on purple flies. I think that purple flies are great producers, along with blue, as most flies have very little to none of these colors in them.

The fish haven't seen a plethora of these flies, don't know what they are and as such, hit them up because they just don't know any better.


So here is my purple fly, the Pompous Jerk. Is it is soft hackle? A Woolly Bugger? A leech?  How about a little bit of everything...

In tying, I made a build up of thread for the body and the outer body of yarn. You could use just yarn for the body but the build up of thread will make the fly denser than just the yarn, so it will sink a bit quicker.

The Pompous Jerk:

Hook: Size 10 streamer or nymph
Tail: Purple Marabou
Underbody: build up of 6/0 purple thread
Outer body: purple leech yarn
Rib: wine colored fine wire
Hackle: wine color duck flank
Maroon bead head.

2 comments:

  1. cool fly, I need to get some colors of beads other than the silver and gold I have

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dustin. You should check out Scott's Fly Shop. I bought a bunch of odd colored beads from him; copper, black, even neon green. He had some hot pink beads that I thought of getting to, but they were only in midge sizes.

    ReplyDelete