Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Fly of the Week: Black Bertha

This is a nymph pattern that I created this Spring and quickly became one of my "go-to" patterns to get results. It  doesn't matter the water clarity, the weather, the temperature.... I have had success with this fly in any and all conditions.


It's dark and very buggy, but also has a nice amount of flash to catch the fishes eye. It's also a simple fly to tie, which is generally how I like to keep them. I can think of better things to do than spend 10 minutes to tie one fly, then loose it on the first cast.

Typically, wet fly hackle is a soft hackle, like partridge or mallard. Not so in this case. I use dry fly Saddle Hackle on this to get a little different, stiffer movement in the water.

Black Bertha
Hook: size 14 nymph hook
Tail: Black Saddle Hackle fibers
Body: Black Dubbing
Rib: Silver Wire
Hackle: Black Saddle Hackle
Silver Bead Head


**The picture for this one was take by Mark on the North American Fly Fishing Forum. I had sent it in for a fly swap and the pic was posted regarding that. I'm using this pic because I'm lazy and his pics turn out better than mine.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment