Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Fly of the Week: the Orange Roughy

Continuing on with my now keenly picked interest in soft hackles... I've always been a big fan of the partridge & orange. It's simple and it's always been a pretty good producer.

I was in the fly shop the other day looking around and saw a lonely little bag of English Grouse soft hackles. Neat little brown/black mottled things.

So long story short, two flies at the vice later(I tied the hackle on backwards on the first one.Oops!) we had the Orange Roughy. I add the iridecent glass bead to it not to give it any more weight, because it really doesn't, but to add a bit more sparkle to the fly.



Orange Roughy
Hook: Nymph Hook 14-18
Glass Bead Head
Body: 6/0 orange thread
Rib: Copper Wire
Thorax: Purple Seal Dubbing
Hackle: English Grouse

No comments:

Post a Comment