Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Leading up to the Big Game

Here in SE PA our opening day is this Saturday, April 2. Earlier this week I checked the weather and we were supposed to have cold rain/ snow all weekend. I was pretty happy.

Locally, opening day is a giant jamboree of two types; families and Zebco wielding spinner machines trying to fill up their creel as fast as possible. While I will keep the comments to the latter to myself, I think that it's great for families to get out and enjoy the day spent outdoors. They're teaching their kids a why of life that is slowly eroding in this country. And for that, I salute them.


I just wish there weren't so many of them......

So when I saw crappy weather in the forecast I was ecstatic.  I don't think I've even been so happy and/or looking forward so much to getting drenched and frozen in my life. I find fishing very non-therapeutic if I have to spend my entire time hoping I don't hook one of lil Johnny's eye-lids as he decides to dart behind me while I'm back casting. That would really put a damper on my day (I can only imagine the amount of paperwork that would cause.)

But I checked it just now, and now mother nature has the audacity to give me a sunny weekend in the 50's. How dare you?!? Of all the unmitigated gall.....

While I am somewhat tempted to drink the cool aide and join them, Zebco, can of corn and all, a part of me sighs and shakes it's head. And maybe dies a little. But I doubt it. I'm a fly fisher, and that means respectability.

But, on the plus side, I can stop talking about fly fishing and start doing the fly fishing. I've been waiting months for that one.

2 comments:

  1. I understand and you're right...take a child fishing and all. I wouldn't be who I am today if my dad hadn't of started me out preschool! But it can also get a little tense when said children are roaming around in your area of operation! Happy casting Saturday, and "duck lil Johnny!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, my daughter is 3 and I try to get her to go fishing without being too pushy. Whenever it's nice out she doesn't want to go but when there's a downpour, or we're an hour away from home, then it's "Daddy let's go fishing!" I think I might have to get a Zebco and a can of corn for the trunk after all.

    ReplyDelete