Friday, March 25, 2011

The Allen XL 5/6

About a month ago, Allen Fly Fishing put in there newsletter that the were selling off their stock of the recently scrapped 5/6 XL project, but supplies were extremely limited. I had mine ordered about 3 nanoseconds later. (These then sold out a few days later.)


I recieved mine today, and man, what a nice reel. The color is straight black but super glossy. It cranks like butter and the drag feels very smooth.

And this thing is light! I've read that this weighs in at 4.2 oz, but in hand if feels a bit lighter. Say 4.15...... :)

The drag is very easy to adjuster without being too loose. I can see being able to adjust the drag with your rod hand without letting go of the rod. Now that would be some fancy fishing!

I got this to pair up with my CGR rod, which is a 4/5. I think that I may have hit the money with this reel. I haven't tried to place the reel on the rod yet; I figured that with my luck the reel won't fit in the slip-ring seat and then I'll be pi.... um, aggravated. I'll spare that for another day.

Now I just need to figure out what line to put on it. But with the Season starting in a week and a day, I have a bit of time to figure that out.

I'll post more on this reel (not that any of you have a chance of getting one, MUWAHAHAHA!) once I give it the old college try.

No comments:

Post a Comment