Monday, June 6, 2011

Freshwater Flyfishing tips from the pro's iPad app: a review

I've spent the past weekend checking out the Freshwater Flyfishing Tips from the Pros app that I received from Howard over at Windknots and Tangled lines. I have to say, it's a nice little app.

The interface is very clean, but in a no frills kind of way, which makes it very easy to use. After the opening screen, there is a menu of vertical tabs that you scroll through. When you see a topic that strikes your fancy, you tap it. This opens up a sub screen which has the content of the subject. Also on many of the sub screens are galleries of some very beautiful photography or links to videos on YouTube demonstrating a technique.

I've viewed about half of the chapters so far, there has to be about 50 of them, and some of the subjects are geared toward the novice fly angler. But not all. The idea that the app presents to create sit bubbles around your nymph like a natural is worth the price of the app itself ($2.99 I believe.)

Other subjects touched on include picking rods, tipping guides and a few topics on kids and Flyfishing.

I will have to say that I wished that some of the videos were included in the app and not reliant on youtubes servers. I had a problem with my network this weekend and could read the content but not view the videos. My thinking is that if the videos were embedded then this app could become even more of a stream side companion.

Overall, I have to give this app a good ol' thumbs up. The content is short and sweet, there is info that will teach everyone something and the interface is pretty intuitive.

I'm also using another app BlogPress, to make this post. Supposedly this App links in with Blogger and let's me upload posts, albeit without any pics, which works for this posting. I would like to link to Howard's blog as well as the app, but I have no idea how I would do that. I'll just pop in later for that.

In the meantime, let's hope this works.......


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. Hey Anthony it works! Thanks for the great post. My understanding is there were more than 50 (like around 100-150) with an update coming out soon. It sounds a lot like a program I picked up several years ago for the computer, only better. We'll make sure Mark sees this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a ton of subjects, I was just taking a guestimate at 50 since I didn't feel like counting. :) Please do share with Mark, maybe he could give us a sneak peek at what the update holds.

    ReplyDelete