Monday, November 22, 2010

Fly of the Week: a double header!

Yeah, I know. I missed last week. Sorry guys! Between projects for work (I'm a freelance web designer) and projects for my classes (God bless higher education) I didn't have time to look at the vice, let alone sat at it.

So to make up for it, I'll give ya a double header (and early); 2 flies for the price of one! Ready? Here we go....


The first fly came about after checking out my Orvis book and stumbling on their pattern, Brad's Brat. I don't know who Brad was, but his pattern had me playing around at the vice. I came up with the following pattern: the Screamin' Brat.


Screamin' Brat
Hook: Size #8 Streamer
Tail: Grizzley Malard Flank fibers
Rib: Gold French Tinsel
Body: a mixture of rust colored dubbing and Purple Haze Lite Bright 
Wing: blue and white deer tail



The next fly is still a work in progress, but it's getting close. It's a simple black stonefly imitation, I've been working on one for a while now but I can never get one that I am satisfied with. The key to these, and the major problem, is that I tie this with a Draper Nymph Hook that was made by Partridge but discontinued years ago. I was lucky to have a handful given to me by a friend. I've been working on a pattern ever since. Check it out and let me know what you think. 

Hook: Draper Nymph Hook
Tail/antenna: Black Turkey Quill
Body: Abdomen is Purple Peacock Herl and the Thorax is Black Hare Tron Dubbing
Shell: Black Thin Skin

No comments:

Post a Comment