Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Beautiful Classic Wet Flies

I was nosing through the WWW the other day and stumbled on two sites that about classic wet flies.

I don't know why but I've always had a love for classically tied wet flies. There's a simple eloquence about them that will always make them stand out among the flies of the world.


The first page I found is Classic Wet Flies on Bergman and Beyond. It contains a number of recipes as well as tips to help make the tying of these a little easier.

The second page is Don Bastian Wet Flies. Not only is the photography great, but the flies look to be works of art. This also has recipes and notes. My only complaint is that the recipes seem to be a bit too simplistic.

Take the first pattern, the Canada Wet Fly. Hackle: Red. My first thought is "Red what?!" But alas, my question remains unanswered.......

There are plenty of other sites out there on wet flies, these are just two that I found interesting. With winter quickly on-coming, fishing here will slow down and I'm looking forward to trying my hand at a few of these, maybe even making some a Fly of the Week.

But I have a feeling that I will need a lot of practice before I'm tying these at the level as these two fine gents.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment